Monday 18 February 2013

Lionel Beyeke Triceps


Lionel Beyeke
CONTEST HIGHLIGHTS
2011 IFBB Toronto Pro, 2nd
2011 IFBB New York Pro, 4th

2009 Arnold Amateur, super-heavyweight, 2nd
In fact, of the 13 men who have ever worn the Mr. O crown, none save Scott (the very first champ) ever earned it on their initial try. Only two, in fact, even came close—Schwarzenegger finishing second to Oliva in ’69 and Yates a step behind Haney in ’91.That’s the reality facing rookies. In this competition, it seems, there are dues to be paid. Although that tempers expectations of many coming into the event, it could also serve as a warning of sorts to anyone among the seasoned veterans who become a little too complacent—because in sports, if there’s anything history teaches us, it’s that such streaks are born to be broken.Will Lionel Beyeke be the competitor to do so? For his part, he’s not proclaiming it so. “I will consider the Mr. Olympia a success if I finish in the top six—and top five is a dream,” he says. “I will give all I can to make it come true.”That leaves us to dissect his competitive history. The 5'10", 252-pounder’s first IFBB foray was?in 2010, a sixth in the Phoenix Pro. In 2011, he took fourth in the New York Pro, and second in the Toronto Pro, one slot behind Craig Richardson. Thus far this year, he’s cracked the top six at the Arnold Classic and won the FLEX Pro. All in all, a short but impressive résumé, made possible by an incredible transformation between 2010 and 2011, engineered by trainer Hany Rambod, in which Beyeke added 30 pounds of muscle mass.But, as Beyeke knows, as good as that first pro victory felt, he still has improvements to make, especially considering the chasm he’s about to bridge between the level of the Olympia compared with the other contests on the IFBB schedule. “I know I need to stay focused every single day, because the best of the world will be onstage at the Mr. O,” he says. “To be there has been my ultimate aim since I started this sport, and I have to give it all to be on top.”To put his best foot forward, the 31-year-old has added four weeks to his pre-contest prep, extending from his usual 12 to 16 weeks, which should help dial in the crisp conditioning that was admittedly lacking in his early-year forays. “I’m taking in more calories to try and add more size, about five pounds,” he explains. “I don’t want to grow too fast and lose my symmetry. I’m also going heavy in training, working down to eight reps to help get bigger and more dense overall.”Toiling daily at the gym from? his home base in Paris, France, ?he’s giving special emphasis to his back and hamstrings, as well as his calves. “But I’m increasing my attention on all my body parts, really, to keep my lines,” he adds.The intense dedication is, as Beyeke acknowledges, vital to fulfilling his ambitions of crashing a very competitive top six, populated with the likes of defending champ Phil Heath, four-time titlist Jay Cutler, Kai Greene, Dennis Wolf, Branch Warren, and a slew of other hungry and talented contenders. He knows, with every workout he does, the others are matching him, rep for rep, with their own ambitions for glory.“Being a bodybuilding professional is my full-time job, one that I take seriously,” he says. “I must do my best all the time. Winning the FLEX Pro and taking sixth at the Arnold this year helped a lot. Those were good experiences for me. Now, to see how my body reacts to this next major challenge is very important.”With the size, cuts, and physical presence Beyeke brings to the mix, there’s little doubt that he’s a threat for the top six in his first Mr. O. But can he shock the iron world on Sept. 28 and 29 by becoming the first Olympia rookie to hold the Sandow? Improbable, perhaps. But that’s why, as they say, they play the games.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Online